Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fried Gelatin

A couple years back a friend of mine told me a story about how he was wondering what would happen if you drop a gelatin leaf in fryer oil. Well it turns out the gelatin leaf immediately crackles and puffs up like a chicharone (pork rind). When I tasted the fried gelatin leaf it was very unpleasant. I have been thinking of a way to get the same effect from the gelatin but actually be able to use it in a dessert. I would think if you bloom the gelatin in a very concentrated solution (yuzu juice or a concentrated puree) and then dehydrate the bloomed gelatin it would in turn be dry enough to “puff” in the oil and actually be palatable. I have not yet tried this technique yet, but it makes sense to me that it could work. I will come back to this topic as soon as I come up with a recipe that works.

2 comments:

  1. Any luck with this? I.ve been experimenting with savory thin baked meringues as a low carb snack food, but they don't get quite cruncy enough... It seems to me that fried proteins should work.

    ReplyDelete